Mills County Parade of Lights

I've always wanted to ride in a float at a parade. I've marched in plenty, but playing the flute in a super awesome outfit/hat and feather and sweating off any trace of beauty queen doesn't exactly count. How do those girls get in a parade? All smiling their beauty queen smiles and waving the famous beauty queen wave. How does one achieve such a feat, experience so much magic?

I decided this year my dreams were going to come true. See, I have made a friend here in Goldthwaite that helps me make my dreams a reality. So far we've made t-shirts for our favorite band, she's taught me how to sew (or is trying really hard to teach me), I'm making my first quilt, we have become workout buddies...she's much better than I am at making ideas happen. So, when she had the brilliant idea of entering a float into the Mills County Parade of Lights, I laughed along and we came up with some silly ideas, but then the idea actually happened. I signed up for the parade, we went shopping for decorations, and we spent a few hours right before the parade turning her simple golf cart into a magical, glowing winter wonderland, complete with a puppy in the basket. We had a ton of fun getting the thing decorated, and giggled the during the entire drive to the start of the parade route, and then we waited. Nestled between the Boy Scouts and the Revival Center, we waited for the sun to set and the lights to start glowing. 

When the sun had sunk below the horizon, the parade began. Inching ahead, one float at a time, we grew closer and closer to the start of the parade. And then, we were off! Emily expertly navigated the golf cart/winter wonderland on wheels and I practiced my best beauty queen wave. Just like I have always imagined. Well, sort of, anyway.

Fifteen minutes later, our trek down Fisher St. was over and we were on our way back home. It was over so quickly! Maybe next time, I'll find a longer parade. But for now, my first float in Mills County will have to do. And yes, it was pretty magical.



Comments

Chelsea, I'm so proud of you and happy that all your dreams are coming true. I love you very very much.
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts