Discipline?

I was totally convicted at camp last week that I completely lack discipline. I start to do all kinds of things or talk about doing all kinds of things and then when it comes down to it, I don't do them. Oh sure, sometimes I'm too afraid, afraid to fail, afraid to be uncomfortable, etc. Not that fear is a good excuse to not do something, but it is an excuse. Sometimes though, I'm just flat out lazy. Laziness is no excuse at all. It is what it is. I wish sometimes that I was a super driven person. Someone that just can't sit down and not be busy. However, that is not me, and I don't think it ever will be. I really love to sit and read a book all day long. Literally. All day. I love to take naps. I love to play with my puppy or go on an evening walk. I love to take bubble baths or read my favorite blogs. None of these things are bad. When that's ALL i want to do though, nothing productive gets done. I know my biggest weakness is laziness. Or one of them at least. I hate that about myself.

So, in response to this conviction about not being lazy, I decided (well, Jana, my sister in law decided) that we need to stick to the decision we made several months ago that we are going to run in a half marathon. November 14th, in San Antonio is the Rock and Roll Marathon. We will be running the half marathon, 13.1 miles. I have always kind of sort of in the back of my head wanted to run a half marathon, but two things have always stopped me. You guessed them. Fear and laziness. I just can't get away from those two! So with the encouragement of Jana, and John telling me he's proud of me ( I love it when he says that to me!) and feeling inspiration from the Spirit, I've put my foot down and decided that it's time for me to begin to conquer my worst enemy. Myself.

Today was the first day of half marathon training. Up at 6:15, met Jana at 6:30, ran 1 whole mile without stopping in only 11 minutes (ha) and gearing up for day 2 tomorrow. Tomorrow we're leaving to take about 40 kids to Schlitterbahn in New Braunsfels, TX for 3 days. I'm already making excuses as to why I should just sleep in and not run tomorrow. And it's the second day! Shame on me. I'm going to do it though, if only for the purpose of putting a gold star on my progress chart. I need that star.

Hopefully I can still post while in New Braunsfels...

Comments

I'm sooooo PROUD OF YOU! Not a lot of husbands can say that they have a wife that inspires them... but I CAN! Keep it up.
Danielle said…
Good Job! Im doing a 5K in September so if I can do it you can too!

Popular Posts