Comparisons

I have a love/hate relationship with blogs. It's super awesome to be able to keep up with people, learn about people, and find inspiration in what other people are doing. That is the love half of the relationship. The hate half is this. I can spend all day looking at other people's blogs and I am in constant comparison mode. Every single blog I look at, I tear it apart in my head. Most blogs I look at, I sit and scroll through the images berating myself for being less talented, less artistic, less awesome, less everything. Then with some other blogs, I find myself puffing up, thinking I am so way better than that. I have better composition, exposure, etc. So when I look at a blog, I do one of two things. Either make myself feel horrible, or make myself feel horrible. Why do I do this?

It's not just with blogs. I compare myself to people all the time. Always have, really. I look at people around me and think, they're more outgoing than me. more artistic and clever than me, skinnier and more fit than me, prettier than me...the list goes on. If I let myself think this for long enough at one time, I end up having a grumpy, I'm ugly, bad day. This is a terrible way to feel!

I have a husband who tells me I'm the most beautiful woman on the planet constantly, and I believe with all my heart he thinks it's true. I have a God who created me perfectly to be exactly who I am and He rejoices over me. I have parents and sisters that support me and love me. So what in the world is wrong with me? Why do I constantly second guess myself and put myself down in my head? It's only hurting me and the lies aren't true.

But everytime I get on someone else's blog that is better than me in the photographic world, it starts this chain reaction of negative thoughts. Grrr. Go away negative thoughts!

Maybe I should stay away from blogs and just be who I am for a while. Hmmm...scary thought.

Comments

Amy-Rose King said…
Gurrrl! I think we all do this. I know I do. I've discovered I just have to appreciate where God has put me and enjoy each moment. Photography is a glass-ceilinged hobby so we will always be getting a little better if we keep trying. Anyway- just wanted to tell you that I think your work is always awesome so keep it up!

Popular Posts