On Failure

I mean seriously, what is failure anyway? Why is there this "fear of failure" that covers me like a shroud everyday? I've decided to take this photographic path on this grand adventure called life and the whole time I've been tippy toeing through, like I'm afraid the failure monster is going jump out at me from behind a shadowy tree. What about a path filled with sunshine? I'm talking awesome sunshine, like that yummy sunshine that happens about an hour before the sun goes down and totally inspires me. Why can't the path be filled with that kind of sweet light? The clouds have parted before and I've seen it, but the rest of the time I'm stumbling down this rocky, dark path with my hands over my eyes so I don't have to see what I think is up ahead. The failure monster. So who is that jerk anyway?

Here's my theory. Want to hear it? Lean in close...

He doesn't exist.

Yup. That simple. I think I'm making up the whole thing. It's like I heard a made up story a long time ago and can't shake the thought. He creeps up in my dreams, but never in real life. SO this makes me think he isn't real.

There is no such thing as failure. As long as I'm listening to my Father, loving the people around me and pushing myself to keep going down the path, I haven't failed.

Sigh of relief.

But wait...here he comes again! As soon as I breathe deep and lose the thought of Mr. Failure lurking around, he comes lurking again! I have all these goals for myself...buy a new camera, lenses, IMac, lighting equipment, go to Love Affair, WPPI, For The Love...all of these things cost money. Which is what I happen to be lacking at the moment. These are the silent words Failure whispers over me.

My everyday has become a battle ground. And it's a bloody one. Will the non existent failure monster prevail again? Or do I have the courage today to fight back?

Today, I'm going with fighting back.

Comments

Britni Brannon said…
So I know I don't comment much, but I saw this 40 day blogging thing and had to take a look. And can I say you are amazing and what you say is so true! I want to start my own bakery type business, but always have excuses for not doing anything to work towards this goal. I want it so bad, I love baking and love when people enjoy my baking. But there is always something in my head that's says it isn't good enough or im not good enough to accomplish something so grand and inspiring! Well I am with you now...failure schmailure! You have inspired me to try working towards this tremendous goal I have set and to accomplish all of this in Gods name! Godis working in your life... A true follower of the Lord!!

Popular Posts