Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!

In case you were unaware, Italians eat A LOT of pasta. So far, we've eaten pasta, pasta, and more pasta. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent pasta, but they're not messing around with the pasta thing.

Our activities have been low key thus far. Last night we went to bed super early, around 10. Chan and I just about sleepwalked to the bedroom. After a good nights rest we were ready to go. Well, Chandee was. I have been feeling quite dizzy and disoriented, my right ear has not popped from the airplane and I feel that it's throwing me off a bit. So today we went to Mike and Anto (Charise's coordinators) to babysit Pietro, the cutest child I have ever met. I napped and Chan and Reese played with Pietro. The rest of the AIM team went to Rome for a few days and will then go to Naples so us three have the apartment to ourselves for a whole week. Tomorrow we want to take the tour of Prato, go to the center of town, see the castle, get some gelato, and take a few pictures along the way. We will probably eat pasta for lunch and dinner.

Since I have been here, I have had several moments when I have had an overwhelming sense of peace and contentment. Earlier, I walked into Charise's bedroom and the windows were wide open and the city of Prato was sprawled out in front of me, the mountains acting as a picturesque background. I stood for a moment, just taking it in. We are in this beautiful place, with my sister who has become a strong woman, and I just felt so blessed to be where I am. I'm reminded of the cheesy quote that says,"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." Despite the cheesiness, that describes my experiences in Italy so far. I've had several breathless moments, and I know I will have several more.

(Just a sidenote...I passed my teacher certification exams!!!!)

Comments

Wow! Sounds like you are really breathing it in. I am so happy for you. Breathe it in deep because when you get home, its back to breathing in my uncontrollable gas. LOL.
Just thought I would try to make you appreciate your experience by putting it in perspective. I wouldn't want you to miss me TOO much.
Katie Lea said…
oh your husband is silly! ;) it sounds like such an amazing trip! you painted quite a picture of looking out the window at prato! it was WONDERFUL to talk to you last night! take lots of pictures! i love you!
ps, i'm still so proud of you for passing your certification test! i told my mom and sister how proud i was of you!

Popular Posts